Thursday, April 29, 2010

I normally don't do this, but...

I'm going to get a little political. There's an anti-Obama facebook group that's going around lately that you might have seen. It's based off of this saying:

Dear Lord, in the past year you have taken away my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite musician, Michael Jackson, my favorite salesman, Billie Mays, and my favorite athlete, Chris Henry. I just wanted to let you know..... my favorite president is Barack Obama. Amen.

Bad, right? Well, there is an opposing group asking for this group to be removed because this statement is racist and unAmerican. People are up in arms because someone is "threatening" the president.

Some one with the best intent,
Went and killed the president,
Because he had the influence,
To massacre 10,000 men,
Wake me up from this great dream I can't believe my eyes

So someone killing the president is a good dream? Still pretty bad. Some of you will recognize these lyrics as coming from a Vayden song from two years ago. By deductive reasoning, I would guess this was about Bush. There were plenty of songs from that time period that were anti-Bush.

I'm not going to get into Obama/Bush bashing here. I am not going to say which party I choose to affiliate with. That wasn't the point of my post. My point is that no matter who we put in the oval office, there's going to be people that don't like it. Are jokes and songs about that person's death in bad taste and overall inappropriate? Yes. But it happens. It happened with Bush Sr. It happened with Clinton. It happened with Bush Jr and it'll happen with Obama. Heck, it even happens with people that don't make it to the White House. Did you know that the same prayer was said for Governor Christie (Republican) from NJ?

What happened to respect?

1 comment: